Shortage Of Bone Marrow Donors A Health Challenge For Minority Communities | NBC Nightly News


STRUGGLE TO FIND A DOCTOR IS AN ONGOING ISSUE IMPACT SO LONG DOCTOR IS AN ONGOING ISSUE IMPACT SO LONG MANY MINORITIES. ISSUE IMPACT SO LONG MANY MINORITIES. HERE’S NBC’S RON MANY MINORITIES. HERE’S NBC’S RON ALLEN. HERE’S NBC’S RON ALLEN.>>Reporter: MOST ALLEN.>>Reporter: MOST DAYS, 7-YEAR-OLD>>Reporter: MOST DAYS, 7-YEAR-OLD ISAIAH BULLOCK SEEMS DAYS, 7-YEAR-OLD ISAIAH BULLOCK SEEMS LIKE EVERY OTHER KID, ISAIAH BULLOCK SEEMS LIKE EVERY OTHER KID, NO SIGN HIS LIFE IS A LIKE EVERY OTHER KID, NO SIGN HIS LIFE IS A STRUGGLE. NO SIGN HIS LIFE IS A STRUGGLE. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE STRUGGLE. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP? WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP?>>A BASKETBALL WHEN YOU GROW UP?>>A BASKETBALL PLAYER.>>A BASKETBALL PLAYER.>>Reporter: AND PLAYER.>>Reporter: AND WHAT’S YOUR SECOND>>Reporter: AND WHAT’S YOUR SECOND CHOICE? WHAT’S YOUR SECOND CHOICE?>>A NAVY PILOT. CHOICE?>>A NAVY PILOT.>>Reporter: WHY A>>A NAVY PILOT.>>Reporter: WHY A NAVY PILOT?>>Reporter: WHY A NAVY PILOT?>>BECAUSE I GET TO NAVY PILOT?>>BECAUSE I GET TO FLY ALL THESE COOL>>BECAUSE I GET TO FLY ALL THESE COOL JETS. FLY ALL THESE COOL JETS.>>Reporter: ISAIAH JETS.>>Reporter: ISAIAH HAS A RARE IMMUNE>>Reporter: ISAIAH HAS A RARE IMMUNE SIMPLE DISEASE CALLED HAS A RARE IMMUNE SIMPLE DISEASE CALLED IPEX. SIMPLE DISEASE CALLED IPEX. THE ONLY CURE IS A IPEX. THE ONLY CURE IS A BONE MARROW THE ONLY CURE IS A BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT. BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT.>>YOU DON’T EVER TRANSPLANT.>>YOU DON’T EVER SLEEP BECAUSE YOU KNOW>>YOU DON’T EVER SLEEP BECAUSE YOU KNOW AT ANY POINT IN TIME SLEEP BECAUSE YOU KNOW AT ANY POINT IN TIME YOUR BABY COULD LIE AT ANY POINT IN TIME YOUR BABY COULD LIE DOWN NEXT TO YOU AND YOUR BABY COULD LIE DOWN NEXT TO YOU AND HE DON’T WAKE UP AND DOWN NEXT TO YOU AND HE DON’T WAKE UP AND HE DOESN’T, HE HE DON’T WAKE UP AND HE DOESN’T, HE COULDN’T. HE DOESN’T, HE COULDN’T.>>Reporter: FOR FIVE COULDN’T.>>Reporter: FOR FIVE YEARS CHARLENE AND>>Reporter: FOR FIVE YEARS CHARLENE AND VINCENT BULLOCK HAVE YEARS CHARLENE AND VINCENT BULLOCK HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND VINCENT BULLOCK HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A SUITABLE DONOR FOR NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A SUITABLE DONOR FOR THEIR SON. A SUITABLE DONOR FOR THEIR SON.>>HE GETS RASHES. THEIR SON.>>HE GETS RASHES.>>YES.>>HE GETS RASHES.>>YES.>>Reporter: PAIN IN>>YES.>>Reporter: PAIN IN HIS JOINTS?>>Reporter: PAIN IN HIS JOINTS?>>YES. HIS JOINTS?>>YES. IT’S TOO MUCH.>>YES. IT’S TOO MUCH. IT’S A LONG LIST. IT’S TOO MUCH. IT’S A LONG LIST. I MEAN, HE GETS IT’S A LONG LIST. I MEAN, HE GETS MIGRAINE HEADACHES. I MEAN, HE GETS MIGRAINE HEADACHES.>>LOOK, I HAVE A MIGRAINE HEADACHES.>>LOOK, I HAVE A SKIT.>>LOOK, I HAVE A SKIT.>>Reporter: THEY EVEN SKIT.>>Reporter: THEY EVEN TRIED TO CREATE A>>Reporter: THEY EVEN TRIED TO CREATE A DONOR BUT I SIGHIA’S TRIED TO CREATE A DONOR BUT I SIGHIA’S CYST EANEH DONOR BUT I SIGHIA’S CYST EANEH SISTER ANEAH IS NOT A CYST EANEH SISTER ANEAH IS NOT A MATCH. SISTER ANEAH IS NOT A MATCH.>>SHE GOT TO BE A MATCH.>>SHE GOT TO BE A MATCH.>>SHE GOT TO BE A MATCH. WE KEEP SEARCHING. MATCH. WE KEEP SEARCHING.>>Reporter: THE WE KEEP SEARCHING.>>Reporter: THE PROBLEM THE NATION’S>>Reporter: THE PROBLEM THE NATION’S LARGEST BONE MARROW PROBLEM THE NATION’S LARGEST BONE MARROW REGISTRY HAS 10 LARGEST BONE MARROW REGISTRY HAS 10 MILLION POTENTIAL REGISTRY HAS 10 MILLION POTENTIAL DONORS BUT FEWER THAN MILLION POTENTIAL DONORS BUT FEWER THAN 1 MILLION ARE DONORS BUT FEWER THAN 1 MILLION ARE AFRICAN-AMERICAN. 1 MILLION ARE AFRICAN-AMERICAN. A WHITE CHILD HAS A AFRICAN-AMERICAN. A WHITE CHILD HAS A 77% CHANCE OF FINDING A WHITE CHILD HAS A 77% CHANCE OF FINDING A MATCH, FOR BLACK 77% CHANCE OF FINDING A MATCH, FOR BLACK KIDS, IT’S 23%. A MATCH, FOR BLACK KIDS, IT’S 23%. EXPERTS BLAME LACK OF KIDS, IT’S 23%. EXPERTS BLAME LACK OF AWARENESS ABOUT THE EXPERTS BLAME LACK OF AWARENESS ABOUT THE NEED FOR DONORS IN AWARENESS ABOUT THE NEED FOR DONORS IN MINORITY COMMUNITIES. NEED FOR DONORS IN MINORITY COMMUNITIES. A SWAB OF DNA MINORITY COMMUNITIES. A SWAB OF DNA DETERMINES YOUR A SWAB OF DNA DETERMINES YOUR GENETIC MARKERS, DETERMINES YOUR GENETIC MARKERS, EXPERTS SAY ACTUALLY GENETIC MARKERS, EXPERTS SAY ACTUALLY TRANSPLANTING MARROW EXPERTS SAY ACTUALLY TRANSPLANTING MARROW CAN BE SIMILAR TO TRANSPLANTING MARROW CAN BE SIMILAR TO GIVING BLOOD OR IN CAN BE SIMILAR TO GIVING BLOOD OR IN SOME CASES REQUIRE A GIVING BLOOD OR IN SOME CASES REQUIRE A MORE COMPLICATED SOME CASES REQUIRE A MORE COMPLICATED SURGICAL PROCEDURE. MORE COMPLICATED SURGICAL PROCEDURE.>>GOOD AFTERNOON. SURGICAL PROCEDURE.>>GOOD AFTERNOON. TRYING TO RAISE>>GOOD AFTERNOON. TRYING TO RAISE AWARENESS — TRYING TO RAISE AWARENESS –>>Reporter: THE AWARENESS –>>Reporter: THE BULLOCKS URGENTLY>>Reporter: THE BULLOCKS URGENTLY TRIED TO RAISE BULLOCKS URGENTLY TRIED TO RAISE AWARENESS. TRIED TO RAISE AWARENESS. DOCTORS THOUGHT ISAIAH AWARENESS. DOCTORS THOUGHT ISAIAH MIGHT LIVE A COUPLE OF DOCTORS THOUGHT ISAIAH MIGHT LIVE A COUPLE OF YEARS. MIGHT LIVE A COUPLE OF YEARS. YOUR PARENTS SAY YEARS. YOUR PARENTS SAY YOU’RE VERY STRONG. YOUR PARENTS SAY YOU’RE VERY STRONG. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE YOU’RE VERY STRONG. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE SUBJECT IN SCHOOL? WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE SUBJECT IN SCHOOL?>>MATH. SUBJECT IN SCHOOL?>>MATH.>>Reporter: WHY MATH?>>MATH.>>Reporter: WHY MATH?>>BECAUSE IT’S THE>>Reporter: WHY MATH?>>BECAUSE IT’S THE EASIEST THING OF MINE.>>BECAUSE IT’S THE EASIEST THING OF MINE. IT’S THE EASIEST EASIEST THING OF MINE. IT’S THE EASIEST THING. IT’S THE EASIEST THING.>>Reporter: DESPITE THING.>>Reporter: DESPITE THE ODDS THEY’RE>>Reporter: DESPITE THE ODDS THEY’RE DETERMINED TO FIND THE ODDS THEY’RE DETERMINED TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN GIVE DETERMINED TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN GIVE ISAIAH A CHANCE AT A

15 thoughts on “Shortage Of Bone Marrow Donors A Health Challenge For Minority Communities | NBC Nightly News

  1. Where miseducation of a generation for religious/ eugenic purposes backfires into selfish entitlement….. wait what was the front fire again ?
    In case you dont understand, people that evolved in hot climates donate less…. which is ironic because they have denser bones … bone deep

  2. Keep your baby teeth they have stim cells that can be used on your body a already match. Keep ur kids ones

  3. if say get the word out via the Black Churches , but the DEMS have been working 24/7 to Destroy The Black Family !

  4. There is no shortage … blacks make up 13% of the US population, there for the donor pool is smaller but, the need is also much smaller… The people at NBC clearly can't do math.

  5. LIVING FAITH CHRISTIAN CENTER 2323 ROUTE 73 PENNSAUKEN NJ 08110, AMEN HALLELUJAH 😀😄😆😁☺😊🤲👏🙂👣😃👐🤗💒🙆‍♀️🙋‍♀️👩🙇‍♀️PRAISE HIM🤗💒 BE BLESS, BE ENCOURAGE, GOD BLESS, JESUS #1 💒🤗 WE ARE PRAYING 🤗💒 PRAYERS WARRIOR 💒🤗LOVE YOU GUYS 🤗💒

  6. WALK BY FAITH NOT BY SIGHT, AMEN HALLELUJAH 💒🤗🙇‍♀️👩🙋‍♀️🙆‍♀️👐😃👣🙂👏🤲😊☺😁😆😄😀PRAISE HIM

  7. COVER BY HIS BLOOD, AMEN HALLELUJAH 😀😄😆😁☺😊🤲👏🙂👣😃👐🙆‍♀️🙋‍♀️👩🙇‍♀️🤗💒PRAISE HIM 💒🤗 JESUS IS IN CONTROL ALWAYS 🤗💒 TRUST IN HIM 💒🤗

  8. MILLENNIUM SKATE WORLD 1900 CARMEN STREET, CAMDEN NJ 08105 GOSPEL NIGHT FRIDAY AT 7:00PM TO 10:00 PM 🤗💒PRAISE HIM

  9. Thank you for sharing this story and raising critical awareness for searching patients like Asaya! For those looking to join the registry and and make an impact, you can join here: http://bit.ly/30TzpcE 💙💚-Sydney

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *